Is there anything better than a freshly cleaned make-up brush? From your blusher brush to your flat foundation blender, the number of brushes finding their way into our make-up bags is forever growing. And that’s why it’s so important to keep them in tip-top shape. To help you get the most out of your make-up brushes, we’ve put together the ultimate guide on cleaning your brushes. Ready? Let’s get cleaning.
So, how often should I clean my brushes?
Most skincare experts will recommend that you soak your make-up brushes at least once a week – this will help to stop product build-up, leaving them to feel fresher when you use them.
To keep them clean, it’s good to give your make-up brushes a thorough clean once a month, and twice a month if they’re used around your eyes. By keeping your make-up brushes clean, you not only extend the life of them, you also reduce the risk of clogged pores and spots.
What should I use to clean my make-up brushes?
When it comes to cleaning your make-up brushes, you should always use a specialist brush cleanser or a gentle soap with warm water, as this won’t damage the bristles.
How do I clean my make-up brushes?
Cleaning your make-up brushes is pretty simple, just follow these three simple steps.
1. Squeeze a pea-sized amount of gentle soap into a glass of warm water.
2. Gently swirl your make-up brushes in the water and massage the bristles to remove any leftover make-up.
3. Finish by rinsing them with clean water and laying them out flat to dry.
How do I clean my make-up sponge?
Just like cleaning your brushes, cleaning your make-up sponge is super-simple too.
1. Fill a bowl with warm, soapy water.
2. Gently massage the make-up sponge in the water, and watch as your old make-up washes out.
3. Finish by rinsing the make-up sponge until it’s completely clean. To dry, just gently blot it with a paper towel.
How do I dry my make-up brushes?
Drying your make-up brushes correctly is just as important as cleaning them, so here’s how to do it right.
1. Find a clean towel and a flat surface. Lay your brushes on one half of the towel and fold over the other half, gently adding pressure to get rid of any excess water.
2. After, unfold the towel and leave the brushes lying flat to dry out in the air. I’d recommend leaving them to dry overnight.
3. Never leave your make-up brushes to dry in a cup upright. The water will trickle down to wear away the glue that’s keeping the brush together.
Ok, but when should I throw away my make-up brushes?
There’s only so long a make-up brush will last – even when you look after them well! Not sure what to look out for? Here are some early signs you may need some new brushes.
1. Your brushes don’t seem to ever get clean.
2. The bristles start to fall out.
3. You notice that the brush is starting to smell.
None of the above? We’d recommend replacing your brushes every 3 to 4 months, as this will help to keep your make-up looking fresh.
From cleaning to drying, we hope this guide has turned you into a make-up brush-cleaning pro. In the meantime, why not check out our collection of vegan-friendly make-up brushes. From blending foundation to applying eyeshadow – we’ve got you covered.